As I started a new post series on the operating systems. In this we will see Microsoft Windows OS, as many of you know about it and might be using it.Or reading on it in this post you will get know the windows OS in some of depth.
The main reason for having an operating system to manage your files, entertainment & hardware and software. Operating system provides a easy to work in installed programs. Operating system binds a software and hardware both. They communicate with each other.
Operating system helps to communicate with the inputs of human touch. Not just windows OS but any other operating system does that. Without the Operating system user will need to have operate it with inputs like keyboard and mice.
|Developed by||Microsoft Corporation|
|Initial release date||20 November 1985|
|Written in||C#,C++ ,Assembly language, java script, Visual basic|
|OS family||Windows NT, Windows 10, MS-Dos|
Versions of Microsoft Windows OS
|Operating System Name||Year of launch|
|Windows 1||November 1985|
|Windows 2||December 1987|
|Windows 3||May 22 1990|
|Windows 3.1||April 6 1992|
|Windows 95||August 1995|
|Windows 98||June 1998|
|Windows 2000||February 2000|
|Windows ME(Millennium Edition)||September 2000|
|Windows XP||October 2001|
|Windows Vista||January 2007|
|Windows 7||October 2009|
|Windows 8||October 2012|
|Windows 8.1||October 2013|
|Windows 10||September 2014|
Journey from windows 1 to 10
This is a 29 years of journey but I will let you know all of this in minutes. I compiled it very briefly and informative as compare to other websites. As we all of know that its a very most used operating system worldwide. Most of the firms,manufacturing companies still using Windows XP. For their production and automation.
From windows 1 to Windows 3.1 was based on the MS-Dos. Mostly relied on the command line input, and mouse inputs. After that they launched the new family Windows NT in 1993. Its a multiprocessor and multi user tasking. The first version on NT was 3.1 NT.
As years goes by Microsoft gradually upgrading their OS and designing user interface friendly. They launched Windows 95 in 1995 with a big start menu. That start menu journey still continuing with different updates & we love it. It was 1998 year and Microsoft launched Windows 98 with their own browser IE(internet Explorer) and we use it for to download Google Chrome.
It was a fall of October 2001 and Microsoft launched Windows XP. The most used operating system by enterprise as well as consumers. Also the most supported with security updates up until April 2013. In next update Microsoft focused on the transparency user interface ,which was Windows Visa and Windows 7. Many users reported that windows vista was a buggy but Windows 7 gave the boost to the PC gamer.
Microsoft launched Windows 8 & 8.1 big update was removed start menu and added tile menu which was disappointment for many consumers. It was light, fast and secured but I think it was designed for the touch screens devices. In my opinion it was failed miserably both versions it was a set backs for Microsoft.
This version of OS brought Microsoft in the market which was Windows 10. Also they brought back the start menu ,and lots of features like Windows defender for security, new settings window, & tablet mode. This was for the touch screen users as well as for typical users they can experience the both. Most of the users are using it and IT firs also switching to the windows 10.
Key features of OS
- Kernel : A kernel is the central part of an operating system. It manages the operations of the computer and the hardware, most notably memory and CPU time
- Process management : The OS must allocate resources to processes, which are runs in the background applications that users are interacting with it.
- Memory management: Its a function responsible for managing the primary memory to execution of application on the hard drive & allocate the portion of the memory to run the application.
- Security: It provides a protection to computer system. Such as CPU, had drive, memory, software programs & most importantly data/information. So a computer system must be protected against unauthorized access, malicious access to system memory.
- Networking : It is one of the most important type of OS. Operating System runs on a server and gives the server the capability to manage data, users, groups, security, applications, and other networking functions.
- File system & Disk access: Its a advanced and organized feature of any operating system. Which manages the files, document, media file, on the disk and it can gives names and attributes to files. Also it allows to get an access of portable disk and USB sticks.